Monday, April 5, 2010

Scissortail Creative Writing Festival

OK, so it's been a while since I posted, but that's because I was out of town at the Scissortail Creative Writing Festival. Held at East Central University in Ada, the festival included readings by a large group of (mostly) Oklahoma authors. The featured speakers were Joy Harjo and Jim Barnes, the 2009/2010 Oklahoma Poet Laureate, and both were great.

This was the first time I'd been to the festival. Jennifer went with me, and we both really enjoyed it. The readings were excellent. With other conferences (mainly Sigma Tau Delta), you never know if the session you're going to is going to be good, bad, or a mix. Here, the poetry and fiction was almost always excellent (there were a few duds). Dr. Keegan and a few other women from Oklahoma that she and Jennifer know read their poetry. I was really impressed by Dr. Keegan's bird poems.

One of the really interesting parts of the conference was the Page One Literary Art Gallery. Basically, you sent in the first page of a story, a one-page poem, or a piece of flash fiction, and they printed and mounted them on boards. People walked through the "gallery" and read them. Jennifer and I both submitted poems, and we both won awards! We got $20 in free books. :) Woohoo!

Easter was pretty good. I did have a good time talking more with Ashley, my youngest brother's fiancee. She's definitely very good for him. Their wedding plans are moving along very nicely.

OK, need to get back to work. It's Monday....

No comments:

Post a Comment